World’s leading Kali Linux 2020.2 penetration distribution launched with new updates, authentication improvements, PowerShell by design, and other features.
With Kali Linux 2020.2 latest release, offensive security has introduced new dark and light themes for KDE Plasma. The KDE plasma is the desktop environment that KDE produces specifically for linux systems.
Powershell has been added to repositories with Kali Linux 2019.4, so you can install PowerShell by using this command starting from 2019.4 if required.
kali@kali:~$ sudo apt install -y powershell
Now the Powershell added “kali-linux-large” with kali primary metapackages, not with default metapackage if you select the metapackage and then Powershell is installed.
For Kali Linux 2020.1, the root / toor superuser account migrated to kali / kali, now also introduced in Kali Linux 2020.2 with the ARM photos.
“We also warned back in 2019.4 that we would move away from a minimum 8 GB SD card and finally we’re ready to pull the trigger on that. The minimum is now greater than or 16GB.’
In Kali Linux 2020.2, notable change with installed is that kali-linux-everything has been removed as an install option to avoid long waiting time and the kali-linux-large offensive security team cache allowing full offline installs.
New latest packages and icons are added with the update, it is recommended that tool makers use Python 3 as Python 2 has now reached “End Of Life.”
“We started updating our product logos for every device, too. In the Kali Linux menu you will notice them “reads the release post.
New Key Packages
As previous updates, Kali Linux 2020.2 has relased some of the new packages off the following:-
- GNOME 3.36 – a few of you may have noticed a bug that slipped in during the first 12 hours of the update is available.
- Joplin – Kali Team planning on replacing CherryTree with this in Kali Linux 2020.3!
- Python 3.8
Kali Linux 2020.2 Updates at NetHunter
- Nexmon support has been resurrected, adding support for WiFi display and frame injection to wlan0 on Nexus 6P, Nexus 5, Sony Xperia Z5 Compact and more!
- Images from OpenPlus 3 T were added to the download list.
- 160 kernels added to the registry, allowing NetHunter to support more than 64 apps! Yeah, they supported over 160 kernels and over 64 computers. Superb.
kali@kali:~$ echo "deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali-rolling main non-free contrib" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list kali@kali:~$ kali@kali:~$ sudo apt update && sudo apt -y full-upgrade kali@kali:~$ kali@kali:~$ [ -f /var/run/reboot-required ] && sudo reboot -f kali@kali:~$
To check after upgradation for Kali Linux 2020.2;
kali@kali:~$ grep VERSION /etc/os-release