It can be very alarming to see the US/DS light blink on your Arris router or modem. It will blink for only a few seconds on most occasions. Sometimes, however, it might keep blinking for longer periods of time without stopping.
Worst of all, it could be associated with a loss of internet connection. This problem is not something to be worried about.
There are many ways to fix the problem with your Arris modem. It is important to understand the root cause of the problem before you can find the solution.
Why does the US/DS light keep blinking?
It is normal for the US/DS light blink to initiate an internet connection. The US/DS light becomes steady once the connection has been established.
If the router’s blink continues, it is not able to connect.
These scenarios can cause this lapse of connection:
- Service interruption: Your internet service provider (ISP), may cause unexpected or scheduled service outages. The blinking light indicates that the modem is unable to make an internet connection.
- Loose wiring: You may also experience a blinking us/ds light due to a loose wiring modem router combo. You should check for unattached, bent, or cut wires. They could be the reason for the blinking light and internet disconnection.
- Problem with splitter: Check that your splitter is working correctly if you are using it for your internet connection. Splitters can cause internet connection disruptions if they are damaged.
- Defective modem: A damaged modem can cause a loss of function and prevent the establishment of a connection.
- Firmware Update: The light will also blink continuously when your ISP updates firmware. Once the process is complete, it will become stable.
How to fix the blinking US/DS light on an Arris modem
These methods can be used to fix blinking lights or “modem is not connecting” issues.
1. Start the modem
The first step in troubleshooting is to restart the modem.
These steps will allow you to reset your Arris modem.
- Disconnect the modem power supply
- Wait for 1-2 minutes
- Connect it to the power source
- Turn it on, and wait
Verify that the “turn it off, turn it on again” solution works according to the stability of your light.
2. 2. Check the cabling
You can remove the splitter if you are relying on it. Connect the modem directly with the cable. If the light stops moving, this is an indication that you have a reliable internet connection.
If the splitter works, it could be defective. You should replace it.
Your Arris modem US/DS blinking orange indicates that there is a disconnect in your US communication line, even though the DS has locked down the downstream signal.
You will need to check all the cable wiring for defects to solve this problem. You should hire a professional cable technician if you are unable to fix the wiring.
If your DS light continues to blink, it could be a sign that the wiring is not connected correctly.
You will need to inspect for loose cables that may need to be reattached or fastened to solve the problem. If the problem persists you can seek assistance from your ISP.
3. 3. Check the signal levels
Ask your ISP for the status page of your modem. These values will show you the upstream and downstream values. You can use these values to troubleshoot your problem.
The downstream power forward path level that caters to noise levels has both (+/-) values. The ideal range should be between -7dMbV and +7dMbV.
The downstream return path is the link between the modem/cable provider. It is expressed in (+). values. The optimal range is between 38 and 48dMbV.
If the values are too high, there will be more resistance to complete the connection.
If you find that the values remain high after power cycling the splitter and disconnecting it, you should contact a cable technician who can help you bring them down to a more acceptable level.
4. Get in touch with us
If none of these solutions work, your ISP is likely to be the problem. For assistance, contact customer service.
It can be very alarming to see your modem blinking constantly. You can almost predict that you’ll have a bad day. It shouldn’t.
Using the troubleshooting suggestions above, you should be able to solve the problem and stabilize the US/DS lights on your Arris modem.
If all the methods do not work, call customer support to help you solve the issue from their end or provide a replacement modem.
On the other hand, if you are experiencing other issues, we have a comprehensive Arris modem troubleshooting guide for you.