Twitch is designed to stream and watch live content over the Internet. Sometimes, however, it makes sense to download a video to view offline.
You could have a VOD you haven’t seen yet, and it is about to expire. Or you could be traveling to a place with a poor internet connection and you would like to save videos for watching offline.
No matter what reason you may have for downloading Twitch videos to view offline, it is possible.
There are several ways to download past broadcasts from Twitch. There are two main types of methods: those that use the built-in Twitch tools or those that require an additional tool.
The first category applies to a limited set of videos, Video-On-Demand. However, the second category allows you to download virtually any clip.
Learn more: How to watch YouTube videos offline
To ensure that the Twitch terms are understood and adhered to, it is important to review the terms.
Let’s get that out of the way. Here are three ways to download Twitch streams videos for offline viewing.
How to download Twitch videos offline
These are the methods you can use to download Twitch videos:
1. Use the integrated Twitch video downloading tool
Twitch videos are saved after every stream so that viewers and streamers can view them later. VODs can expire after a certain time.
A Twitch VOD expires in 14 days for streamers with regular accounts. VODs will be available for approximately 60 days to Twitch Partner accounts.
Finally, Twitch Affiliate members will have access to their VODs for approximately 14-60 days.
These steps will allow you to download and save your work offline before it is deleted from Twitch servers.
- Log inTo your Twitch Account
- Visit the drop-down menu click the button in the upper right corner, next to your photo and profile name. Settings
- ChooseVideos and ChannelOn the settings menu that appears
- Scroll down-channel SettingsLook for automatically archive broadcasts. This option allows you to save all your videos as VODs.
- Select the option you want from the menu. Video Producer
- ChooseBroadcasts from the PastClick on the dropdown and wait for the videos that populate to appear
- ChooseDownloadBelow are thumbnails of each video
This will only let you download videos from your channel. You can use any of these methods to download videos from other streamers.
2. Twitch Leecher allows you to download videos
Twitch Leecher, a third-party application that allows you to save Twitch videos for offline viewing, is available. This app has a simple, but effective user interface.
The app is safe to use. We are more interested in downloading videos from the app so let’s get into it.
- Go to Twitch Leecher on Github (here) using your PC
- Scroll downAssetsSelect a compatible install, e.g. x86 for 32-bit computers or x64 for 64-bit machines.
- Wait for the installer process to finish, then double-click on the app to install it and launch it
- Follow the instructions to install the launch Twitch Leecher
- Click here to open the app search
- ChooseSearch for NewScroll to the bottom
- Open your favorite internet browser and open Twitch. Select your preferred videos. Once you’re in any Twitch streamer channel, click Videos to do this.
- Right-click any VOD that you wish to download, and choose the desired file. Copy the link address. It will also be available in other browsers. Copy this link or copy the link.
- Go to twitch LecherCopy the URL and paste it into the search for field
- Click here click here to download this appears right next to the video that you wish to download
- The resolution and preferred storage location can be changed by clicking the button. Download.
This video tutorial demonstrates the concept.
This is a very efficient method, Twitch Leecher is frequently updated and it doesn’t get slow.
If you don’t like the idea of installing additional software on your computer, or if it is a Mac you can use online video downloaders that support Twitch.
This method works with Macs too.
3. Use 4K Video Download to download Twitch streams
4K Video Downloader allows you to download videos for offline viewing.
This software can be used in any way you like, not just Twitch Leecher. It also supports Ubuntu, Windows, Mac, and Windows.
To download videos using 4K Video Downloader:
- Go to this page to download the 4K Video Downloader, then double click to install it on your computer.
- Open your browser, and choose any Twitch live stream you wish to watch.
- In the address bar, copy the stream’s URL. You can also right-click any stream to copy its URL
- Open 4K Video Downloader
- Use the search box at the top to enter your video URL.
- Wait for the program’s parsing of the video URL
- Once the URL has been parsed, click the Download button
You can stop recording a video you’re downloading from a streaming site at any time.
These methods apply to any user who uses Twitch on a Mac or Windows PC. Enjoy downloading and please share these tips with others.