Netflix offers an offline storage option, also known as the Download feature. This allows users to download and view their favorite shows later.
This means that you can still watch TV shows even without cellular data or Wi-Fi.
While Netflix allows you to download movies and view them offline, you cannot store any content offline. This is why certain shows aren’t available for download.
You can also only save 100 titles to one device at a time.
Netflix’s app is the best way to watch Netflix content offline (e.g. on a plane).
Mac owners can stream TV and movies via the browser, but this is not true for them. But that doesn’t mean you can’t watch Netflix movies offline on a Mac.
This guide will show you how to activate Netflix’s offline feature from any device.
How to stream Netflix on Chromebook
Netflix can be streamed on Google Chromebook and Chromebox computers using the Chrome browser. You can stream Netflix from any device that can download content from Google Play Store.
You can watch Netflix offline with Chromebook
- Download the Netflix app from the Google Play Store.
- Wait for the app installation to complete on your Chromebook.
- After installation, open or launch the app.
- Register in the provided spaces to log in to your account.
- You can find a TV series or movie you like.
- Alternatively, you can open the Menu and choose Available for Download.
- A list of movies will be available.
- Choose the one that is most suitable for you.
- You will find the Download button below the video’s summary.
- To download the movie, click on the button.
- When a tick appears in the blue box, you will know that you have successfully downloaded the file.
- Navigate to My Downloads to locate your video.
You should now be able to open the video and watch it offline. This video shows the exact steps starting at minute 1.37
How to watch Netflix offline using Windows 10
These tips will allow you to watch Netflix on your Windows 10 computer or tablet.
- Download the Netflix app from the Microsoft Store.
- After the download is complete, launch the app and sign in.
- Click the Menu button to select Available for download
- You will see a list of available movies and shows for download.
- Click on the Download icon to download a movie or series.
- An alert will be displayed at the bottom of the screen indicating that the file is being downloaded.
- Click on the Menu button to select My Downloads after the download.
This option allows you to access and view all videos that you have downloaded to your computer. You can also start watching them offline.
How to watch Netflix offline for Mac
The streaming service doesn’t have a separate app for Mac computers. It is difficult for users to download favorite shows or movies and then watch them offline.
A third-party app is the only way to watch Netflix offline on Mac. An excellent example is Boot Camp.
Here’s what you should do:
First, install Windows 10 on your Mac with the Boot Camp Assistant.
- Start Boot Camp Assistant on your Mac. It will be located in the Utility folder within your Device’s Applications folder.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to install Boot Camp.
- Plug the UBS drive into your Mac if it is required. Boot Camp Assistant will create a bootable drive to install Windows 10.
- When asked to specify the size of Windows partitions, make sure to provide at least 128GB of storage space.
- The Windows Installer will be restarted after Boot Camp Assistant completes the installation.
- Click Format to install Windows in the BOOTCAMP Partition.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to install Windows 10.
- After installing Windows, your Mac will launch Windows 10 after it has been restarted.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to install Windows and Bootcamp drivers.
- Restart your computer.
- After you have restarted Windows 10, go to Microsoft Store and download Netflix.
To watch Netflix on Mac, follow the steps in Step 2. You can also use this method.
How to watch Netflix offline using Android
You can download selected TV shows and movies to your Android tablet or smartphone using the Netflix app. Later, you can watch them offline without Wi-Fi.
Follow these steps:
- Open the Google Play Store for Android.
- Install Netflix by searching for the app
- Launch the Netflix app after the installation.
- Log in to access your account
- Choose any TV or movie that is available to download.
- To save the file to your device, tap on the Download icon.
- To access your movie, click on the Download tab at the bottom of your screen after the download.
You can stream offline with no data or Wi-Fi from your Android device.
You should note, however, that not all movies have a download button and therefore cannot be downloaded.
How to watch Netflix movies offline using an iPhone
These methods can be used to enhance your Netflix offline viewing experience if you have an iPhone.
- Get the latest Netflix app in Apple App Store.
- Install the app on your device.
- Start the application and log into your account.
- Click on the Menu tab to select Available for download
- Choose a movie or show that interests and you.
- Tap on the Download icon (an arrow pointed downwards with a horizontal line).
- Let the downloading process finish.
- To access the video, go to the menu and choose My Downloads.
Tap on the movie to play it offline.
These steps will enable you to manually download Netflix movies and then watch them offline. Smart Download is a feature that automates the process.
This feature allows you to delete any episodes that you have watched and lets you download more videos.
Go to My Downloads after downloading the show and choose Smart Downloads. To toggle the option ON/OFF, use the toggle. The feature is only compatible with Wi-Fi networks.
You can watch TV shows and movies offline by saving Netflix to your computer. Before you can watch videos offline, you’ll need to first download a few videos.
Boot Camp is the best third-party app to watch your favorite shows offline if you’re a Mac user.