There are Windows errors that typically occur spontaneously. Such errors occur when you do not plan to have any trouble with your machine. Windows outlook error 0x80042109 is one such error.
This is a very particular mistake since it points you to a specific application running on your machine and its corresponding note.
“The error is usually accompanied by the message “Return reported error (0x80042109): Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing email server (SMTP)” or “Send and receive reported error (0x80042109): Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing email server (SMTP).
While the two messages are identical, two separate possibilities are suggested. The first message shows that you can’t use Outlook to send emails, but you can accept inbound mail. The second post, on the other hand means that you can neither send nor receive e-mails (s).
The differentiation in the messages is however not the issue. The problem is that the mistake happens and how to fix it. When you instal Outlook, upgrade it, start it or send an email, you can experience an error of 0x80042109. There could still be a flaw in Outlook 2007, 2010, 2013 and 2016.
Factors Responsible for Outlook error code 0x80042109
- Virus/malware infection.
- Unsteady Internet connection.
- Excess junk files with current threats.
- Incorrect email account settings.
- The installed anti-virus/malware program.
- Incomplete installation of Outlook.
- Mail server unavailability.
- Pending Outlook update(s).
How to fix Error code 0x80042109 in MS Outlook
Depending on the event, correcting error 0x80042109 can be simple and fast or complicated and time-consuming. There are some strategies below that you can use to get rid of the mistake.
Method 1 – Basic Troubleshooting to fix Outlook error 0x80042109
The mistake can be corrected within minutes by performing basic housekeeping steps.
1. Launch the anti-virus/malware software installed and authorise any virus/malware to run a complete scan of your computer device.
2. Ensure that the Internet connection on your computer is secure and reliable.
3. Test launching Outlook two or three times at 10 minutes interval. This is because the mistake will be discovered precisely because the server of your email service provider is either down or under repair.
4. Temporarily uninstall the installed third-part anti-virus/malware software.
Until launching Outlook and submitting an update, execute these easy troubleshooting steps to see whether the 0x80042109 error persists persistent or is fixed.
Method 2 – Remove Junk Files
Some errors, including error 0x80042109, can be caused by cumulative junk files with active attacks. It would be a convenient way to fix the error to delete all the garbage files.
- Click the Win + X combination key to open the menu.
- Pick the choice ‘Command Prompt (Admin)’.
- To run the command prompt as an administrator, press ‘Yes’.
- Before hitting Enter, type “cleanmgr”
- Automatically, the tool will start to work. This estimates the amount of used hard disc space you can demand. Select all dialogue boxes holding unnecessary files, including the temporary file box.
- To let the tool uninstall all junk files, press ‘Yes’.
Start Outlook and try sending an email to see if the error 0x80042109 has been corrected for you or not.
Method 3 – Run System File Checker
Virus/malware infections result in device files being damaged/corrupted. It could be beneficial to run the built-in system file checker utility to restore damaged/corrupt files, which will correct the error.
1. Click “Start”.
2. In the “Search Programs and Files” box, select “cmd”.
3. Before pressing OK, hit the CTRL + Shift + Enter combination to open the command prompt.
4. Before clicking Enter, type ‘sfc /scannow’ into the prompt.
Now let the procedure be done Based on the setup of the system, it can take some time. After it is done, you will be told if there were any machine files that were corrupted and replaced with new ones. If it is found by the application, you will be shown the same.
Method 4 – Check Email Account Settings
In the event that all of the aforementioned solutions fail to fix the mistake, you will need to search your Outlook email account settings.
Step 1: Launch Outlook.
Step 2: Click on “File > Settings for Account.”
“Step 3: In the corresponding dialogue box, find your email address. Before pressing “Update,” double-click on it.
Step 4: Click “More Settings” before clicking on “Advanced Settings” on the resultant dialogue box.
Step 5: Change the port for Outgoing Server (SMPT) from 25 to 587 (port 587 is secure than port 25, which is often used by spammers) (port 587 is secure than port 25, which is often used by spammers).
Step 6: Set encryption to TLS.
Step 7: Press “OK before pressing “Next > Finish”.
Restart Outlook and attempt to send an email to verify whether you are still receiving the 0x80042109 error message.
Method 5 – Install Pending Updates
Updates can be downloaded but not installed. Different complications can be created by those pending updates. Check to see if there are any pending updates to instal them, particularly Outlook updates.
1. Press the “Start” button.
2. Before you press Enter, type ‘Edit’ in the search window.
3. Check for any update(s) uninstalled in the corresponding Windows Update dialogue box that exists. Right-click and update each one.
Restart your machine. Open Outlook and attempt to send an email and see whether the mistake has been corrected or not.
Method 6 – Uninstall/Reinstall Outlook
If both of the above solutions fail to correct error 0x80042109, uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook would be necessary.
Doing it will be useful if Outlook implementation issues have existed or the installation has never been finished.
If the error persists permanent after re-installation, you may need to restart the device.
Method 7 – System Restore
The second last option to fix Windows errors is always system restore. Executing system restore returns your device back to a functioning state until it was infiltrated by causes that may cause the error.
- Click the Win + Q primary combination.
- Click the ‘Config’ tab.
- Select the ‘Recovery’ button.
- In the resulting open window, click ‘Device Restore.’
- Pick an early date when your machine has been operating without problems.
- Before turning off the machine and restarting it again the tool could start running.
After the device restoring process is finished, while submitting emails from Outlook, you will most likely not get error 0x80042109 again. It should work better this time as it worked earlier.
Most Windows errors, including error 0x80042109, are typically corrected by device restore. This is unless the error is triggered by a variety of variables that can only be addressed by the current OS installation.