Modern 4K TVs can be connected to the internet. This means that you can stream UHD content directly to apps without having to use Blu-Ray players. However, 4K streaming differs from HD streaming.
A high-performance router is necessary to provide a smooth user experience. Technically, the speed of your internet depends on how much bandwidth you have from your ISP.
You will need at least 25Mbps to stream 4K video, so it is important to get the best router to support 4K streaming.
Your Wi-Fi router plays a significant role in ensuring you have a fast and stable internet connection for 4K streaming. Many standards are available to improve router performance.
Some models include the 802.11ac wireless protocol, which increases Wi-Fi speed and provides greater connectivity. Simply put, if your router is not optimized for streaming 4K content, it will impact how you view UHD TV content.
Is it possible to stream 4K via Wi-Fi
4K content is a large amount of data. When streaming videos, you need consistent network access. Any interference can cause problems and ruin your viewing experience.
You should consider streaming over Wi-Fi if you have high-quality equipment. Also, signal strength at the receiving location of your TV must be strong.
This is possible only if your connection speed is at least 5 GHz 802.11ac and that the router has 4×4 antennas. You must also ensure that your TV is within range of your Wi-Fi to ensure that your TV can receive a strong connection.
If your router is not up to standard, and the wireless network is having issues, then you can use Ethernet to view 4K videos.
Consider these things when purchasing a router to stream a 4K video.
These are the factors to consider before you purchase the best wireless router for 4K streaming.
- AC1600+ Technology– This modem router combo is the best for streaming 4K video with AC1600+ technology. It offers more bandwidth which allows you to enjoy high-quality content seamlessly.
- QoSQoS – This feature prioritizes applications based on their bandwidth requirements. The router will prioritize UHD content over all other HD videos on the same network with 4K.
- Beamforming TechnologyThe technology sends narrow, focused signals to your 4K television instead of spreading them out from the broadcast antenna. This allows the device to stream streams faster and more reliably.
1. Netgear Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR500 Wi-Fi Router
The NetgearXR500 Wi-Fi router is high-performance and well-engineered for online gamers who stream on 4K sets.
AC2600 dual-band technology is included in the router. It delivers speeds up to 2.6 Gbps and multi-user capabilities.
This is sufficient to ensure that video streaming doesn’t slow down Wi-Fi speeds. The unit also has a powerful processor of 1.7GHz that ensures reliable Wi-Fi speeds and prevents interference while watching UHD content.
The router’s top features include:
- Four LAN ports, one WAN port
- Four high-performance antennas
- Dynamic 15 additional 5GHz channels
- 11ac wireless compatibility
- Its security features protect the network identity and prevent DDoS attacks.
- High-quality streaming and gaming at a fast pace are possible with this device
- A powerful processor that provides an uninterruptible performance
- This helps to keep the pings consistent while in use
- There are few options for parental control
Because of its powerful processor and reliable 2.6Gbps connection, the NetgearXR500 router is ideal for streaming 4K content.
2. Netgear Nighthawk X4S Smart Wi-Fi Router (R7800)
The Netgear 4K Wireless Router is unmatched in its processing power and fastest gaming performance.
This router boasts superior Wi-Fi technology, which allows wireless connections to multiple devices at high speeds of up to 2.53Gbps.
160MHz bandwidth ensures low-ping and the highest stream quality, especially for 4K content or video games.
Dynamic QoS allows you to prioritize applications so that only 4K videos are available on the device. Other features include:
- 7GHz dual-core processor
- Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa voice commands
- 4 x 1G Ethernet ports
- 2 x 3.0 USB ports
- 1 x eSATA ports
- Dual-band speeds up to 800 + 1733 Mb/s
- Four amplified antennas
- Beamforming and the MU-MIMO technology
- This device covers up to 2,600 sq. feet
- Its AC2600 technology delivers streaming speeds up to a lightning-fast rate
- Secure connections are made possible by WPA2 wireless security protocols
- Offering seamless Wi-Fi connectivity for up to 45 devices
- As you add devices, connections can drop.
The Netgear X4S smart router is the right choice if you want to stream movies at 4K resolution and have the fastest wireless connection.
3. D-Link DIR-867 AC1750 Wi-Fi Router
D-Link DIR-867 AC1750 wireless router is high-speed and dual-band. It can be used for multiple simultaneous connections. This router is also capable of streaming HD video over Wi-Fi.
The D-Link provides a strong Wi-Fi performance that allows you to stream 4K video without any interruptions.
Fast wired and wireless speeds up to 1750Mbps are possible with the device (450Mbps on the band at 2.4GHz and 1300Mbps on 5GHz).
It also features optimized antennas to provide greater coverage and support a 3×3 data stream for increased throughput.
The device has the following top features:
- 4 high-performance antennas
- Dual-core processor
- MU-MIMO technology allows for simultaneous streaming across multiple devices
- Intelligent QoS for traffic optimization
- WPA/WPA2 encryption protocols
- Beamforming technology improves wireless coverage
- Provides more parental control options to filter out unwanted content
- It is easy to set up with its intuitive user interface
- Multiple devices can receive high-bandwidth wireless signals
- Its ports can reach 1GB speeds
- Connection drops can cause severe pain
- It can be difficult to modify subnet masks
D-Link DIR-867 AC1750 router provides reliable, powerful wireless performance for users who require faster Wi-Fi speeds to stream 4K UHD video and online gaming.
4. TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 Smart Wi-Fi Router
The TP-Link Archer C7 Wi-Fi router is the fastest for streaming 4K movies. It supports 802.11ac wireless standards, which are three times faster than 802.11n.
The unit is a dual-band gigabit wireless router that offers simultaneous connections in both the 2.4GHz band at speeds up to 450 Mbps and the 5GHz band at speeds up to 1300 Mbps.
The bandwidth available is 1.75 Gbps. This is sufficient to stream 4K content and reduce buffering.
The unit has the following features:
- Three antennas external for Wi-Fi long-range
- Four Gigabit LAN ports
- USB port integrated
- TP-Link Tether app
- 64/128-bit WEP/WPA2, WPA2-PSK/WPA2-PSK encryption
- Supports IPv4 & IPv6 protocols
- The tether app is easy to set up and use.
- Secure wireless access for guest networks
- Perfect for high-traffic internet activities
- Wireless coverage is better in rooms up to 2500 sq. feet
- Suffers constant crashes even after software updates
- As you add devices to your network, the internet connection fails to stay consistent.
The TP-Link Archer A7 is the most cost-effective wireless router because it offers a great mix of features and reliability.
Check Price & Availability
5. Asus RT-ACRH12 AC1200 Wi-Fi Router
The Asus RTARCH12 dual-band wireless router offers smooth streaming of 4K content. It can reach speeds up to 300Mbps on the 2.4GHz band and 867Mbps on 5GHz.
Even though the speeds aren’t as fast as its rivals on this list they are good enough to provide you with high-definition streaming on one device.
The unit includes the following features:
- 4 x Gigabit LAN ports
- 1 x USB 2.0 port
- 11ac wireless standard
- Four high-performance external antennas
- VPN server
- It’s easy to set up your network and set up user access.
- Provides an encrypted connection for browsing the internet
- The best control and optimization options available for setting up and monitoring your network
- Device manufacturer provides poor customer service
- If there is more than one device connected to the same network, speeds might not be sufficient for streaming 4K video.
Although the Asus RTARCH12 router doesn’t have as many high-end specs as other devices, it delivers excellent and consistent performance with connected devices.
Check Price & Availability
You need the best router to stream 4K video. To prevent interference and smooth viewing, your router should be capable of streaming at the fastest speeds.
Opt for dual-band devices that support 802.11ac wireless standards. A unit with Quality of Service is a good choice. It will prioritize certain applications so that 4K videos are not impacted by the network.